SHIPPING INFORMATION FOR
THE UVIC-GENOME BC PROTEOMICS CENTRE
How to Ship Samples:
Please contact us prior to shipping so we are aware of the timeline for your shipment.
Enclose a copy of the sample submission form with your shipment.
Samples must be frozen or lyophilized and shipped by an overnight carrier, in an
insulated container with enough dry-ice to last at least 96 hours for shipments from
outside North America.
Note that clients are responsible for payment of courier costs and brokerage fees. The
sample vials should be sent to the address listed below by any express courier that
accepts dry ice shipments. We recommend World Couriers for shipping.
UVic Proteomics Centre
attn: Derek Smith
Vancouver Island Technology Park
#3101-4464 Markham Street
Victoria, British Columbia
Phone: (250) 483-3224
It is highly recommended that customers e-mail their courier airway bill number and the
date of departure to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can track your shipment in transit
and ensure it arrives in a timely manner. We highly recommend that you ship your
samples on a Monday or Tuesday. We will send a confirmatory e-mail once your shipment
arrives at our facility.
For ALL CUSTOMERS:
Complete the airway bill and specify:
• Priority overnight delivery
• Billing of transportation charges to your organization
• Place sufficient dry ice to last several days into a Styrofoam shipping container
• Seal the edges of the Styrofoam container with tape to preserve dry ice
• Dry ice is a hazardous item, so ensure proper labels are attached to the
outside of the box
• Do not specify Saturday delivery or hold at courier location
• Ship on a Monday or Tuesday to ensure delivery later the same week
FOR U.S AND INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS ONLY:
• For customers located outside of Canada, please identify University of Victoria's
custom's broker on your waybill as follows: Thompson Ahern International (contact: Lilija Arhipova, email@example.com ). Phone: 905-677-3471. Including broker information will help prevent your shipment from being held up in customs.
• Please ensure 3 copies of a signed commercial invoice accompany your shipment which specifies that your samples are non-hazardous and non-infectious. Since the samples are not for resale, the value of your shipment should be priced at approximately $1.00 per sample in order to avoid paying additional duties and taxes on entry into Canada.
Please complete a commercial invoice with the following information:
• Date of exportation
• Shipper/Exporter name, address, phone number
• Country of export/Country of origin
• Name of courier and the airway bill number
• Number, type and total weight of package(s)
• Total declared value of shipment (number of samples x $1.00 per sample) and
please specify currency
• Date, name, signature, and title of authorized person
To obtain a blank commercial invoice we recommend a Google search with that term and your courier of choice.
Include three (3) copies of the commercial invoice with the airway bill
It is recommended that customers e-mail the date of your shipment and the courier airway bill number with number of samples to ensure we can track your package should it get held up in Canadian Customs
NOTE: Do not change the value of your shipment to more than $1.00 per sample
as this will prompt the custom brokers to charge the Proteomics Centre with a
duty and GST fee on your package. Since the samples are processed internally
and not returned to the customer or resold, there is no real commercial value.
A commercial invoice is required for all international shipments between Canada
and the rest of the world. It is also your customs declaration, which can possibly be used
to clear your shipment through customs at the destination. The customs clearance
process begins with the description of your samples on the commercial invoice. If the description is too vague or missing, customs authorities may select the shipment for further inspection. All customs
paperwork, such as the commercial invoice, must have detailed commodity descriptions.
A detailed description on the commercial invoice will help speed up the clearance time and chances that it will be delayed.
If you have any questions about the shipping process, please contact us
before you ship at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be happy to assist you.